Friday, September 17, 2010

Kitsap County Skeptics Community Outreach booth

Well, last meetup was the best yet, lots of lively debate and differing opinions with the minimum required dickery. I think the general consensus at the end was that being a skepdick is required in some situations, not suitable in others and it's up to us as skeptics to be able to know the difference. I think Michael Marshall summed it up best when he said something to the effect of stop arguing about whether or not to be a dick, just go out and do your skepticism and make a difference.

So we're taking his advice. We've arranged to have a booth at the opening day of the Minder's Meats corn maze, Saturday, September 25. I've got us a space and a booth, table and chairs - now what we need is input from all the skeptics about what kind of literature we went to present and we really need a LOGO! I know some of you are artisty-types (I'm not naming names, you know who you are ;) - so if anyone wants to tackle this project using the initials KCS and something skepticky, please do so. If it's left to me it'll be lame, I promise you. Anyway we'd like to avoid the magnifying glass because it is, as Adam Carolla says, rather "fucked-out."  If anyone just wants to shout out ideas to be developed into a logo, PLEASE PLEASE do so.

So we need - a logo, distribution materials (I just need .pdf files, I'll copy them on neon paper we've got lying around at work, I've informed my boss I will be stealing office supplies), maybe some decorative stuff for the booth and bodies to man it. Or woman it. Human it.

Ideas for materials include a brochure describing us and what we do and contact info plus maybe contact info for JREF, Center For Inquiry, etc. Also this is a kid-heavy event so I think we should hit the science education aspect hard. We could have flyers on-hand for space camp, skepticamp and stuff like Junior Skeptic.

I'll be there to set up the booth in time for opening at 10am. The event goes till 10 but most vendors will be leaving by 6 and I think that's more than enough - if things are slow we can probably pull out early. This may end up being great or it may suck, but we'll never know until we give it a shot. I think two people at a time can be at the booth and I'd like to keep everyone to two hour shifts unless you want to work longer, so basically we'll need 1 person from 10-12, two from 12-2, two from 2-4, and one from 4-6 (I'll take opening and closing cause I'm responsible for the tent) So 5 people, 2 hours each or MORE if you want...we can have 4 or 5 people there at a time, I just want to make sure nobody is there by themselves. I'll post a "schedule" you can sign up for somehow on the weekend.

So there it is, we have a little over a week to organize this but since everyone in the group is exceptionally intelligent and creative I don't think we'll have any problem getting it together.  Comment here, on the meetup page or on FB,  email kitsapskeptics@gmail.com or call or text me or Bryan for more info and any contributions you may have. Oh. The booth is $10, so if everyone wants to bring a dollar to the atheists meetup or the booth itself, that'll help!

Thanks!
Amber K.

No comments:

Post a Comment